Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Dante: inferno canto XXVIII ventottesimo

From Ninth Hell or Inferno Dante movie like Dore gravures, music quite impressing।


vedi come storpiato è Maometto!
Dinanzi a me sen va piangendo Alì,
fesso nel volto dal mento al ciuffetto।

Western literature and art have portrayed Mohammed in Hell;

Photobucket
with his four wifes tearing him apart to get him to preform his marital duties, like the crusified profeet with no feet to walk elsewhere.

... in Hell, following the example of Dante Aligheiri (1265 - 1321) and his book "The Divine Comedy." In the section entitled "Inferno" (Canto 28), Dante wrote:

"A cask by losing center-piece or cant

Was never shattered so, as I saw one

Rent from the chin to where one breaketh wind.

Between his legs were hanging down his entrails;

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack

That maketh excrement of what is eaten. che merda fa di quel che si trangugia

While I was all absorbed in seeing him,

He looked at me, and opened with his hands

His bosom, saying: "See now how I rend me;

How mutilated, see, is Mahomet; vedi come storpiato e Maometto

In front of me doth Ali weeping go, Dinazi a me sen va piagendo Ali,

Cleft in the face from forelock unto chin; fesso nel volto dal mento al ciuffetto

And all the others whom thou here beholdest,

Disseminators of scandal and of schism

While living were, and therefore are cleft thus."

This image of a disemboweled Mohammed inspired 19th Century artist Gustav Doré to produce an illustration for Dante's work that still has a power to shock. It can be seen here. Artist and mystic William Blake depicted the same scene in a watercolor entitled "The Schismatics and Sowers of Discord: Mahomet." Since 1920, this painting has been housed in the National Gallery of Victoria, Australia.

Salvador Dali depicted Mohammed in Hell in a bizarre illustration for Dante's masterwork, which was distributed in Paris by publishers Les Heures Claires in 1959. Dali also portrayed Mohammed receiving his visions in a work from 1963.

In 1911, Italian movie director Francesco Bertolini created an epic movie based on Dante's work. Entitled "L'Inferno", it features a naked Mohammed, with his modesty covered by his hanging guts. The movie can be viewed in its entirety here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there I am so happy I found your weblog, I really found you by accident,
while I was researching on Askjeeve for something else, Anyways I am here now and would just like to say many thanks
for a tremendous post and a all round enjoyable
blog (I also love the theme/design), I don't have time to look over it all at the moment but I have book-marked it and also included your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read much more, Please do keep up the superb job.

Feel free to visit my web page :: reputation management for doctors